Philippians: To Live is Christ - Week 5
Philippians 1:18b-26 (ESV)
Jesus + nothing = everything
Jesus + something else = everything
Three things to consider:
1. The problem is not what we desire, but the intensity of our desires.
2. We must look beneath the surface of our desires to find the root desires that control us.
Four controlling, beneath-the-surface desires:
- Power: a longing for influence or recognition
- Approval: a longing to be accepted or desired
- Comfort: a longing for pleasure
- Control: a longing to have everything go according to my plan
3. The only way to displace our root desires is to desire Jesus more.
“Mr. Dickson, you are advanced in years now, and your own prospect is soon to be laid in the grave, there to be eaten by worms. I confess to you, that if I can but live and die serving and honoring the Lord Jesus, it will make no difference to me whether I am eaten by Cannibals or by worms; and in the Great Day my resurrection body will arise as fair as yours in the likeness of our Redeemer.” - John Paton